Wednesday, January 13, 2010

sometimes I complain about the weather where I live . . .

. . . and it's not because I don't love winter or white Christmases. Because I do. Very much. I just don't like winter to last half the year, like it tends to do in the frigid midwest.
Today is not a day I'm complaining about our weather. For one thing, it's January. It's supposed to be cold and snowy. Today is one of those winter wonderland days. The snow is no longer falling (although I wouldn't mind if it was) and what is on the ground is sparkly and powdery. The sky is blue. The air is invigorating.

I asked my little boy if he would like to keep throwing balls in his room or if he would like to go for a walk in the snow. He chose to go for a walk in the snow, simply by saying "walk. snow." So we got his turtleneck on, his snow overalls, his boots, his hat, and two layers of mittens. All in all it took us both about 25 minutes to get ready (he is extremely squirmy), which is about as long as we spent outside. It was completely worth it. We started by trudging together through the beautiful snow on the walking path behind our house and we ended with me pulling him on the sled for about half a mile. Other than falling off once, he beamed ear to ear the entire time, taking in the world around him as he glided along the path. I tried to take a couple pictures of this happy beyond happy child, but I had my hands quite full already and my picture-taking efforts just seemed to detract from the moment and the momentum and motion of the sled, so I quickly zipped up the camera and locked some images away in my mind instead.

[The picture here is from another fun day in the snow before Christmas came and went.]

No comments:

Post a Comment