Sunday, February 21, 2010

Olympic Thoughts

This is a little something I wrote after a night of watching the 2006 Winter Olympics, four years ago. I still get emotional watching the Olympics, but I can't believe how much my life has changed between the time I wrote this and today. Still, I thought it was worth posting:

"I'm tired and sick, and I just shed tears over watching the Olympic gold and silver pairs figure skaters compete and place. How I can watch athletes I know nothing about compete in just about any Olympic sport and yet feel both their pain and their joy as if they were family, and almost always end up with tears of some kind in my eyes . . . I'll never know. I just love the Olympics. My most prominent memory of the Olympics has to do with some summer in the 80s on family vacation, and when my parents weren't in the room, we'd switch over to MTV. It was the days when Michael Jackson's thriller was the coolest thing ever and Mary Lou was every [child's] envy. We'd be lounging around on the beds in our wet swimsuits--another no-no and drinking pop and eating candy . . . ah, those were the days."
[written February 13, 2006 on my former blog]

I love this little childhood memory. Something about the Olympics, as with many things, makes me feel nostalgic.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had a "former blog." ;) What was it called?

    I agree that the Olympians are very inspiring. It's always particularly fascinating to me to hear the stories behind each of the athletes...how they got to where they are today.

    stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

    ReplyDelete